Thursday, August 30, 2007

Jamming Away



To all my fellow foodie bloggers out there...check out this easy recipe for making homemade rasberry jam. My friend Amber helped me make my first batch! A couple simple steps and you've got some yummy jam: Rinse, Blend, Boil, Sweeten, Pour and Seal. She and I have boys the same age and they had a great time playing and watching movies and eating popcorn together while we worked in the kitchen. I couldn't resist the cute picture of them in their chairs.



INGREDIENTS
32 oz. fresh rasberries
1 box pectin
7 cups of sugar
1 tbs of butter
5 Jars (boil lids in water)

First, rinse rasberries, then blend until puree. Pour into pot, add 1 Tbs butter, and pectin, stir frequently until boiling. When it comes to a rolling boil, add all the sugar at once while stirring. Let that come to a rapid boil and then cook for 1 minute. Pour into jars. Seal and tighten. Place under canning steamer for 10 minutes. then, you're done!! Let jam sit for 24 hours before eating :)

P.S. Since I don't have a canning steamer, I'm going to do freezer jam next, which I believe is even easier than this. All this time, I could've been making homemade yumminess.

8 comments:

Jill Manning said...

Oh fun that you got to learn how to make jam. I tried making peach jam but it turned out kind of funky, I think I know why but that is a long story. Anyways, I am excited to try this but I too don't own a canning steamer, I have no idea what that is? What do you have to do differently for freezer jam? And do you think I could sub the sugar with splenda and get the same results? (You know so that it would be Ty friendly at the same time?) I know, I have a million questions, sorry!

Stacey said...

Yeah, It was fun. I'm sure Amber would let you borrow it, or give you a lesson :) It was so easy!! I bet splenda could work. If you want, we could do freezer jam together sometime? Maybe the girls would have fun learning too...combined activity...we'll have Amber teach it :) Hope apron night was fun, too.

The Blakes said...

What a fun skill to learn! My sister is pretty good at homemade things like that, but I haven't given it much of a try yet. Thanks for sharing the instructions, I just may give it a go!

Christie said...

There is nothing like homemade jam! How fun that you learned how. I would love to learn how too. My grandma makes the most delicious pomegranate jelly. Maybe I'll ask her to teach me and I can pass along the wisdom like you did! Thanks Stacey.

Beka said...

i remember freezer jam was fun and easy make...now i just need to do it

Lynn said...

Good job!
Where did you get all the rasberries? I hope I can taste your jam sometime!Love, Mom

Maren said...

Those boys are so cute! I'm glad they are buddies!

jon♥kara said...

Hey Stacey! How are you doing?? I just set up our blog and am finding all our old ward friends. Jace is so BIG! I can hardly believe it. He's so cute. Well just thought I'd say hi, know we can keep it touch better. Hope things are going good for your guys.